Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Hero....


As a kid, I always thought of having a hero was just plain ole crazy! Maybe that comes with being a girl? As I have become older and have become a mother of three, I think about my Paw Paw and Granny often. How they did it with six kids, no money, little bitty house, fought in the war, made their own clothes, cooked every meal (including breakfast and lunch), walked everywhere, drove for hours on Sundays just to spend time in the car with all six of their children. We go crazy with our kids just driving down the street. Why is that? My grandparents were two amazing and loving people. I often think about my Pawpaw's sternness but yet beautiful, crystal blue eyes, and snow white hair that loved you with everything he had inside of him. "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life." Proverbs 16:31 His love was so strong that "NOTHING" could ever come between you and him. My granny would always french braid my hair before school when she visited. And let me tell ya, she did the best french braid of anybody I had ever seen. I always felt so beautiful after she had finished. She did the kind that was so tight and stayed for a couple of days. You know what I am talking about if you ever had your hair french braided. If I could go back in time, I would go back to have just one more day with my granny and paw paw. My paw paw went to be with the Lord shortly after I married. I just wished he could meet his great-granddaughters. I could just see him now, slipping a dollar into their pocket and sneaking them off for some ice cream or my granny lining them all up for hair-do's. In my conversations with the Lord, I express how thankful I am to have had two loving grandparents and if He could just tell my paw paw in heaven, "he is my hero". My Paw paw is my hero.....

1 comment:

  1. This was so sweet. (The music in the background made me choke back tears!) It made me think about my grandparents. I miss them and think about them all the time. Such a wonderful legacy to leave.

    ReplyDelete